More people checked artofbeingcheap.com than ever before for tips on how to save money in 2016. Here are the ABC’s reader’s top 10 favorite ways to save money as measured by the number of articles read:
10. Target RedCard– If you shop at Target on any kind of regular basis you are going to want to get this card to save 5%.
9. Recipe Cost Calculator– A free tool to figure out how much it costs to make your favorite recipe.
8. Sam’s Club Mastercard– One of my two favorite credit cards, that gives huge cashback at gas stations, restaurants, and for travel.
7. How to threaten your bank– A step by step guide on what to do if your bank isn’t following the rules.
6. Road trip calculator– A free calculator to figure out how much your vacation by car will cost in total.
5. Walmart Savings Catcher– If you shop at Walmart on a regular basis, your going to want this app.
4. How I saved money on a Carnival Cruise– 21 steps I took to spend as little as possible on a cruise.
3. Save $100 a year on a refrigerator filter– Critics of the ABC point to this article as an example of boring the ABC’s articles are. While I admit there is nothing exciting about filter bypasses, all ABC readers care about is how much money they can save with them.
2. Is Skiplagged.com the best way to buy a plane ticket? – A review of a a travel website that uses something called the “hidden city trick” to find you airfares lower than any other site.
1. Car cost calculator– A free tool to tell you how much it costs to either drive your car or own your car. A great tool to make decisions such as fly vs drive or repair your old car vs buy a new one. If you drive for Uber don’t even think about not using this tool.
Bonus: 5 Overlooked ways to save money
These articles may not have made the top ten, but I think maybe they should have. Here are the five best articles to not make the top 10 from 2016
5. You can get a great memory foam mattress for around $200– I was shocked at how little a great mattress costs.
4. Republic Wireless– Year after year after year I keep telling everybody who will listen that Republic Wireless is not just the cheapest phone service out there, it is also the best.
3. 98% of personal finance bloggers don’t know which debt should be paid off first– An article about why you should pay off PMI or an article about how little experts actually know about what they claim to know a lot about. Take your pick.
2. I built a treadmill desk with stuff around my house– I thought this was a really cool article, but it got very few readers. How I turned my treadmill into a treadmill desk.
1. I saved $12,000 getting elective surgery in Mexico– If you are thinking about having a medical procedure done that your insurance wont cover you should think about having it done outside the US. No, seriously. You will save a ton of money.
Now to get ready for 2017
It is time to chose a new charity to receive 10% of the ABC’s advertising income for 2017. Make nominations here.
Photo by Sam Churchill