Top 10 overlooked ways to save money
As I look back at ABC’s first year of distributing advice on saving money I thought it would be a good idea to recap our top 10 most popular ways to save money. But, that isn’t this article, that article will be up Monday. When I was writing that article it occured to me that there were some pretty good articles on saving money that a lot of people didn’t see. Some of them were published in the early days of ABC, when readers were few and far between. Others just don’t show up in search results very often due to the mysteries of Google’s search algorithms.
Either way, there are some pretty good ways to save money that you might have missed. So here they are in one convenient list:
10. A cheap vacation to NYC – Most people say that New York City is really expensive. Well, I’m not most people. If you know where to look you can actually visit New York without spending too much.
9. Save money on groceries – Because groceries are such a large part of the average families budget spending a little less on every trip to the store could add up to big savings. That is why this article turned into a 4 parter. Should you cut your grocery budget?, buying groceries in bulk, buying store brands, and credit cards that save money on groceries.
8. Why credit cards are the best way to pay.- This was one of my favorite articles to write because it goes against the conventional wisdom. While I was writing it I liked to imagine I was going to get an angry email from Dave Ramsey. I didn’t.
7. How to save money on internet service Saving money on internet service is probably the easiest way to save money on this list. This article explains how a 5 minute phone call saved me $20/ month.
6. A cheap vacation to Las Vegas Traveling is fun, which is why 3 articles on this list are about vacations. This is a 2 part series. Part one talks about transportation and where to stay. Part two talks about food and fun things to do.
5. Refinance your car loan Everybody knows about refinancing your mortgage but refinancing your car loan is something a lot of people don’t know is an option. That is a shame because some people can save hundreds of dollars a month, and it is shockingly easy when compared to refinancing a mortgage.
4. How to gamble without losing too much money. This is another article I loved writing because it goes against the conventional wisdom that gambling is something people who are good with money don’t do. It may not be the best idea, but this article explains the right way to do it. Results are not guaranteed.
3. How to get a good deal online A checklist of all the things you need to do to get the best possible deal when you shop online.
2. How I saved $2,000 on my Disney vacation This was my first article. Anybody planning on taking a trip to Orlando will want to read these tips.
1. Craigslist This was my second article, and I may never write another article that does a better job at saving money than this one. Buying everything second hand has saved me almost $10,000. Here is how to do it.
Photo by Stock Monkeys